Thursday, April 9, 2009

Real Streetwear.


Okay, let me start off by saying that I hate the word "streetwear". What a ridiculous term to label your brand of clothing. What constitutes streetwear? A: I don't wanna name names but.... (Anything on karmaloop.com.)
Nobody from the streets are rocking clothing from any of these companies claiming to be street. And by people in the streets, I mean the people from the streets. The homeless, panhandlers, wanderers and skaliwags. I don't see homeboy off the 110 freeway asking for change rockin a [place streetwear brand here] tee? Damn! I know homeboy is not going to be spending $30 for a damn tee.Don't call your company a lifestyle company too cuz that doesn't make sense. What kind of lifestyle? Most of the kids rockin the clothing are middle to upper class kids that never really excelled in sports. Or girls I would think. (What is the younger generation up to these days?)
I'm not going to be hypocritical about this nor am I targeting any specific company. I own tons of skateboarding apparel associated with the "streets". I love the design process and admire the business side of it, I just don't like the labeling. I think that its a misconception and inappropriate for the actual majority of kids who buy it. You can't buy real streetwear online. Head over to Chinatown, Downtown LA, any Swapmeet in SoCal and you'll find the origins of streetwear. $5 stussy tee bootlegs, Anvil white tees, canvas belts, etc. And speaking of originators, this guy is a tastemaker. literally.

No comments:

Post a Comment